Since July 1st 2017 all teachers need to get the following documents authenticated at a Chinese embassy or consulate in order to teach in China:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher)
- TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certification
Process for US nationals
For US Nationals, the process is as follows:
1. Notarize your documents
2A. Get your documents certified by the Secretary of State's office All documents must be certified by the Secretary of State’s office in the state where the document was issued.
2B. Get your documents authenticated by US Department of State Documents issued in certain states must be authenticated by the US Department of State after certification by local secretary of state’s office. These states include Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming.
3. Get your documents authenticated by Chinese Embassy/Consulates After certification by the Secretary of State’s office and/or the US Department of State, your documents can be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate that holds consular jurisdiction over the state where the document is certified.
To make the process easier for you, we provide the following services:
- Printing and shipping of your TEFL Certificate: $25 USD
- Printing, notarization & full authentication by Chinese consulate: $170 USD
- Each successive authenticated document that you add to your order is an extra $110 USD, so it's ideal to get all of your necessary documents authenticated together.
Shipping cost is included for print only, otherwise, the cost is $30 for a U.S. address, $70 for international.
*If you order state-level apostille, it will be stamped in Colorado. Therefore, if you're going to China, it will need to authenticated by the Chinese consulate in Chicago, no other consulate can authenticate it for you.
We can authenticate your other documents along with your TEFL certificate as well as provide a simple solution to obtain your criminal background check. Click the button to review all options and place an order.
Process for non-US nationals
For non-US nationals, we can provide the same authentication service (printing, notarization, authentication, and shipping) for your TEFL certificate. For information regarding authenticating your other documents or securing a background check please visit document authentications and background checks for China on the Teaching Nomad website.